29 September 2008

It Takes All Kinds to Keep the Rum Flowing



Just like last Sunday the surf was a little rough on the flats. We put in at noon at the Athens launch site. Got a little cocky when we saw the rock piles underwater and assumed high tide was come and on it's way out. We sailed north past the tip of Middle Ground Island and out of safety zone.






Notice the pirate flag? Friends not foe. Playing Skynard loudly as they past I realized not all rum runners are civilized like myself! It takes all kinds to protect the flats. I am glad for the help.

Little did I know I misjudged the tide flow and instead of riding back down to harbor with the tide I paddled three miles against it during a strong flow. You know the joke about flying into town and your arms being tired. I actually felt like i flew into town and my arms were actually tied. Moral of the story.............check the tide charts before going out. Had I waited one more hour I would have had the tide flowing with me both ways.

Capt Low Class PW Wayneright

No comments: